Laughter is good for your health. Laughter relaxes the whole body. A good, hearty laugh relieves physical tension and stress, leaving your muscles relaxed for up to 45 minutes after. Laughter boosts the immune system. Exactly what can laughter do for us from a health perspective?
- Lower blood pressure
- Increase vascular blood flow and oxygenation of the blood
- Give a workout to the diaphragm and abdominal, respiratory, facial, leg, and back muscles
- Reduce certain stress hormones such as cortisol and adrenaline
- Increase the response of tumor- and disease-killing cells such as Gamma-interferon and T-cells
- Defend against respiratory infections–even reducing the frequency of colds–by immunoglobulin in saliva.
- Increase memory and learning; in a study at Johns Hopkins University Medical School, humor during instruction led to increased test scores
- Improve alertness, creativity, and memory
If you’re depending on someone else to “make you happy,” then forget it, as you and God are your only sources of happiness. In Job 8:21, we are told: “He will yet fill your mouth with laughter, and your lips with shouting.” This verse declares that it is the Lord that fills our mouths with LAUGHTER. He rejoices over us and blesses us in every way possible. He fills our lips with LAUGHTER, so that we can face every obstacle and challenge with hope and excitement.
David told us in Psalm 37:13 “…but the Lord laughs at the wicked, for he sees that his day is coming.” Can you imagine God actually “laughing?” This message reminds us that the wicked will not win; for God will destroy them, but in the meantime… He LAUGHS at their silliness in seeking “the WORLDLY way” in life.
When’s the last time that you had a good “belly laugh?” If you can’t find something better to laugh at, then learn to LAUGH at yourself. ….Blessings….cjlb… 7/8/15